11 June 2009

Bless You!

So, I just wanted to address something that makes me absolutely giggle, and hopefully it will translate to the internet.

I have sneezed here in public quite a few times without anyone saying anything to me. Which is funny coming from a country where two or three people will say "bless you" or whatever if you're in a crowd when it happens. I guess here it's just not a concern of the general public whether my soul is in danger or not when I have involuntary spasms in reaction to the air conditions around me.

Although I don't know what I expected them to say, or that I would understand it when they did, or know that they were talking to me...unless, fortuitously, they spoke that universal language, German: gesundheit!

But I had to ask, and did like a month and a half ago, I don't know why this just came to me.

It's really not something they bother to do a lot, but in situations like this Monday's staff meeting, it shouldn't go ignored.

So because I just had to navigate through WAYYY too much of the Swedish Disney Fairy Princess Wonderland Classic Movies site, in Swedish, to figure out how to spell this, be impressed and thankful when I tell you they say:

Prosit.

Pro-see-it.

Which is one of the seven dwarves (Snövit och de Sju Dvärgarna), Sneezy of course.

Now, this is sounding less and less funny to me the more I explain it, but it really just makes me laugh thinking of people in America saying, "Sneezy!" every time....it's like an accusation.

And we were wondering, what about before like 1938, did they just not say anything? When the movie came out did they say, this is so much more appropriate! Or, maybe more likely, this is secular! Also, who do I think this "they" is?

Did no one sneeze in Sweden before 1938?

No comments:

Post a Comment