19 May 2009

oh, right, pictures.

here you go, I obviously forgot again.




How kind of creepy is this? The elevators in the building have doors on each floor, not in the elevator itself, so if it's small, and if you have...a trash can or whatever that poor, fated man has in the elevator with him, be careful not to catch it on the edge as the elevator goes down!

This is potentially a totally illegal photo, although I believe the listing for these buttons is on the website...will check and potentially remove. But see all those beautiful, intricate drawings? and all those measurements? I had to ADD SPACES I took so many measurements. Awesome.

And yay, yay the boats! This one was the only painted one (ok, only out of three). So pretty! They all have sailing rigs too, Johan says gaff or sprit, and the students not only build the rigs too but sew the sails--BY HAND! Oh, Daddy, wouldn't you be so proud if I were a graduate?

The little baby Travelift with another beautiful boat. That's the Vasa Museet in the background, on the right!

Et enfin: les trois nouveaux bateaux, à coté des bateaux plus agés, qui ont été construire par les alumni de la programme. (And finally, the three new boats, next to older ones that were built by alums of the program.) It's too small to see, but they're doing some pretty heavy bailing out along that back row! The spectators were this great mix of very boat-y people (although the only Man Ponytail I saw was on a guy who looked...not very boat-y), crazy young hippie kids, and very chi chi older folks....it was great. What I can't believe about Stockholm Harbor is the incredible speed at which boats are allowed to race through...creating wake that, soon after I took this picture, almost threw the girl in the stern of that boat into the harbor, and then it bounced back off the kaj and almost knocked her off again. And not good for the boats! But I guess they're tied up accordingly. The other interesting, different part about boats in Stockholm is that they are all tied up with their bow to the kaj! None of this wussy "maybe I should exit the boat over the gunwale in the middle, where it's safe", everyone is just jumping off the bow onto shore...even the touristy boats just nose their way in and everyone has to find their way ashore over that one point! But in this picture, and parts you can't see, they have probably 15-20 boats where we generally would have "room" to fit 5. Just sayin'.

I should also say, although I don't believe he's reading this, Tack så mycket, Johan, you made my day, my week!

No comments:

Post a Comment